Momentum Magazine Cover Girl!

Momentum Magazine Cover Girl!
Life is Good!

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The Giants!



This morning my sister La Shun called on my way to work and told me as she dropped off one of her kids at school and was driving the other to his, that they went through a very woodsy-type neighborhood with lots of big trees. Her youngest son Mason made a comment about the trees and it reminded her of my trip to the red wood forest up north, so she shared it with Mason. Well, Mason is only 4 years old so of course he couldn't get his mind around the fact that there are huge trees with trunks wider than cars. She wanted me to send her my picture of the giant tree that had a cut out big enough for a car to drive through.

I hadn't thought about that trip is years. It was actually 10 years ago next week. I went to the De Haven Valley Farm Bed & Breakfast in northern California for my 29th birthday. I flew into Oakland, got a rental car and headed north to the farm (which only had a horse, a dog and I think a cow) through the red wood forest. It was an unbelievably beautiful road trip. Once I got into the forest, the trees were so tall and full, they blocked out most of the sunlight. Then I got nervous when I realized I had no cell phone reception or any idea just how far it would be until I would get it again. Fortunately I didn't need it. Once I got out of the forest I ended up looking at ocean. It was the weirdest feeling after being surrounding by giants and a quiet darkness. The farm was located where the red woods meet the ocean, and I think that was the tag they used to get me to visit. The view from the balcony off my room was of both the forest and the ocean. The breakfast was delicious, and I believe that was the first time I had crepes. I've been hooked since!

I spent the days hanging around the beach or the neighboring towns shops. Then I went to see the giant red woods. I was amazed that a tree could grew so tall you had to bend backwards to see the top of it, and so wide that a car can drive through it! I meet an older couple there who were riding a motorcycle. I think they were from Nevada. I took a photo with the wife and we were sitting in the base of a fallen tree, and another one of me standing in a tree trunk with my arms out stretched and I'm not touching either side of the tree. In the photo there is a car behind me about to drive through the trunk! Talk about God's amazing creations! This is indeed a wonderful example!

Enjoy the adventure!

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post! BTW, I love your Blog title! "Adventures of the Lovely Traveler" runs through my mind as I vicariously read through your adventures!

    ReplyDelete