Momentum Magazine Cover Girl!

Momentum Magazine Cover Girl!
Life is Good!

Monday, August 16, 2010

Day 2 - Marina to San Simeon - 115 miles, well not quite

After riding 122 miles to Marina yesterday, Day 2 started out much better.  My shoulder started to spasm off and on toward the end of the Day 1, so I took some Tylenol and figured it would be better the next day.   Well Day 2 - Marina to San Simeon was a harder day with 8,000 feet of climbing.  I started out ok, but by mile 30 or 40 the spasms were off the chain and I was fighting back tears and trying to climb hills at the same time.  Attempting these two together doesn't work very well since what ended up happening was me hyperventillating instead, until I could pull it together.  This happened at least twice, but I didn't cry! Lol!  I was however in an unbelievable amount of pain.  

I made it 47 miles to Big Sur.  We made it to a restaurant which was good because I was straving too.  Eric was looking very uncomfortable and nervous.  Poor baby!  I felt bad for him, but I couldn't hide the pain I was feeling.  Our SAG was suppose to meet us in the first town, which was where we were, but he wasn't there and we had no idea what type of hills were ahead to get to him:-(

We ordered some breakfast and Eric decided to ride ahead to have SAG come back for me.  On his way out to move our bikes, he ran into Paul and DeeDee from San Luis Obispo.  Paul offered to give me a ride to the next town where hopefully SAG would be waiting.  That was very sweet and generous of them especially since they were there celebrating their wedding anniversary and didn't know me from Eve.  Of course after Eric came back to tell me the good news my first thoughts were "this is like hitch hiking!", "they could be crazy!", "I could end up in a freezer!".  I know that's the big city folk on me.  Always question motives of kindness from strangers.  I know that's crazy, but we do live in a crazy world. Lol!

Well just as Paul loaded up my bike, Ray from SAG rolled up.  I was sooooo happy to see him!  Although Paul and DeeDee were super cool, I didn't want to inconvenience them or really roll with strangers when I was physically not at my best and couldn't run fast if I needed to.:-)

After Ray picked me up, I changed out of my wet clothes, talked to him a bit, let Eric know I was properly retrieved, rode to the next SAG stop, and went to sleep.  I was a hot mess and hurting!  I was thinking I am too old for this kind of foolishness!  I need to preserve this body and not beat it up on a 6 day bike tour!  What was I thinking!

I regrouped a bit after my nap, but the pain was coming and going.  I'm glad I didn't try to keep going through Big Sur because the hills were ridiculous and the climb was 3,000 feet more than mapmyride.com route showed.  I really would have been in tears!  I decided to jump back in at Ragged Point though, after the big climbs, and finish up the last 19 miles of the day.  I probably climbed a total of 4,000 feet and completed 66 miles out of 115.

We make it to the hotel and it doesn't have a laundry, but the Courtesy Inn down the road does.  Of course they're closed for the night, so we have to wait and do laundry in the morning.  Fortunately the next three days are short days so we didn't need to leave early.

It seems Tylenol is becoming my friend on this bike tour!  Lol!

Enjoy the journey!







No comments:

Post a Comment